What is Special Transportation?
Special transportation is provided to students whose Individualized Educational Program (IEP) addresses the need for transporting the student to and from school either on the general education school bus with special modifications, a special school bus, or a special school bus with modifications. An IEP committee may determine that the student requires special transportation as a related service and modifications necessary to transport the student. Modifications may include but are not limited to, power lifts, wheelchair fasteners, special seat belts, harnesses, car seat, bus monitor, and special seating.
Who is eligible for Special Transportation?
Special transportation is a “related service” and only students with identified disabilities may receive special transportation.
Who determines if a student needs Special Transportation Services?
The IEP committee determines a student’s need for special transportation.
The IEP committee is a group of individuals composed of:
- the parents of a child with a disability
- at least one regular education teacher
- at least one special education teacher
- a representative of the local educational agency
- an individual who can interpret the instructional implications of evaluation results
- at the discretion of the parent or the agency, other individuals who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the child, including related services personnel as appropriate
- whenever appropriate, the child with a disability
If you have any questions regarding special transportation, please contact your child’s special education teacher at your local school or the Tift County Special Education Department at 229-387-2460.